Monday, 29 August 2011

Easy White Bread

The night before last, I went to bed knowing we had no bread left - uh oh! I am proud to say though, that it has been 7 weeks since I last bought a loaf of bread from the supermarket, I've made all our bread by hand since then.  Yay :). So yesterday morning I woke knowing I had to whip out a loaf quickly, so I turned to my (what I term) easy White Bread loaf.  Last night whilst making dinner I made another one so that we wouldn't run out this morning. This is a Sophie Gray recipe that I have played around with and adapted,  and  is actually meant to be a flatbread with toppings but works just as well made into a plain loaf.  I'll do a post at some stage about the fabulous flat bread I make :)

Easy White Bread

2 cups of Highgrade Flour
1 cup of Gluten Flour
1 teaspoon of Table Salt
1/2 teaspoon of White Sugar
1 sachet of Instant Yeast
1 Tablespoon of Oil
1 1/4 cups of Hot Water (Not to hot nor to cold)

NOTE: If you have no Gluten Flour it's fine just to use 3 cups of White Flour. You could also try mixing it up with some Wholemeal Flour.

In a bowl Mix together the Flour/s, Salt, Sugar and Yeast.  Make a well in the centre and pour in the Oil and Hot Water.  Give it a mix around till combined and turn the dough out onto a floured bench.  Knead for around 5 mins until it springs back when you dent it with a finger.  Rise.  You can rise as normal or use the quick microwave method. For this you grease the bowl and the dough and cover with clingfilm. Microwave on low for 1minute, then rest in the microwave for 10minutes and repeat this cycle two or three times until the dough has doubled (or risen to nearly doubled, sometimes I'm impatient and I don't let it rise until it's completely doubled and it still bakes as well).  Once it's risen, shape and pop into a greased loaf tin and bake for around 25 minutes at 190degC or until your loaf is nicely browned and sounds hollow when tapped.  

This is super yummy fresh out of the oven with homemade marmalade and a hot coffee!




MMMM delish!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...