Wednesday, 24 August 2011

Homemade Pizza

Tonight DH was away for the night coming in late from a trip down the country for work.  So it was a simple dinner night for the boys and I :) I asked the boys what they wanted - Pizza got the vote! We are all pizza fans in our house so I thought I would share my yummy pizza recipe with you.  I have made a few different bases over the years but this is by far the best I have come across.  It tastes yummy, it's quite simple and quick and it does not have to be expensive to make, you can just scratch together whatever you have on hand for toppings if needs be. 

For the Base:
2 heaped cups of Plain Flour
1 teaspoon of Sugar
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
1 sachet of Instant Yeast
1 tablespoon Oil
1/3 cup of Milk (Milk powder milk is fine)
2/3 cup of Hot Water

In a bowl mix together all the dry ingredients including the yeast. In another smaller bowl mix together the cold milk, hot water and the oil.  Check the temperature to make sure it is warm. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the liquid. Mix to form a dough and then knead on a floured bench until it becomes a smooth springy ball - about 5 mins of kneading. Put it into a greased bowl and you need to cover this with cling film. Don't forget to grease the top of the dough or the cling film so it doesn't stick.


Next you need to rise the dough, the quickest way is in the microwave.  To do this buzz in the microwave for 1min on LOW, then leave in the microwave standing for 10mins, buzz again for 1min on LOW then stand for 10mins.  Check to see if its risen.  I normally complete 3 of these cycles and it's ready.  Otherwise if you have the time just rise as normal in a warm place.  When risen, roll out as required. I divide the dough into two as it stretches quite far and it is enough for my two pizza tins.  Otherwise you could roll it out and free bake it as either one large pizza, two smaller pizzas, or make a handful of  mini pizzas.

Meanwhile while the dough is rising make the pizza toppings.  I make my own tomato base up using a good 2 tablespoons of Tomato Relish, 3 good tablespoons of Tomato Paste, 2-3 cloves of finely chopped Garlic, a good pinch of basil and oregano, a dash of raw sugar and a grind of salt and pepper. Mix it all together and then its ready to spread over the pizza base.  


 Then sprinkle whatever topping ingredients on, plenty of cheese and bake in the oven at 190degC for roughly 17mins.  Making 2 pizzas in my oven I put them in for 10mins then swap them around from bottom to top and cook for another 7mins or until golden brown. Tonight I used one onion very finely chopped, in the freezer I had some shaved ham which I defrosted and drained the water from, and in the fridge I found 3 pieces of salami, some mushrooms, and 1/4 of a capsicum.  I wanted some more colour so I used a small courgette and diced it up and gently browned it in a little oil with a good sprinkle of pepper and a little salt.



I make a supreme type topping as above with whatever I have on hand, or sometimes if I have enough movement in the meat budget I will get a small smoked chicken breast and some brie.  I use Cranberry Jelly as the base topping, then pieces of Smoked Chicken and Brie. Delish!
I also like making Ham, Cheese and Pineapple but DH isn't a huge fan of Pineapple so it's only every so often I have it in the cupboard to use.  The important point to remember - even if you only have a small amount of ingredients to use, chop it up finely so it goes a long way, so you can sprinkle it sparingly and it will still taste good, tonight I only used 3 pieces of salami but managed to get a good cover on both pizzas by chopping it into little pieces :)

The dough recipe is from Enjoy, a Destitute Gourmet book by Sophie Gray.  The tomato base recipe for the topping is my own creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...