Thursday, 11 August 2011

Lemon Cordial

This is so yummy! We are very lucky to have an established lemon tree with lots of lemons so the boys and I got picking and juicing and made up this yummy lemon cordial concentrate.  

Lemon Cordial Concentrate

Juice of as many lemons as you have
Then mix equal parts of water and white sugar into a pot and gently heat and stir until the sugar is all melted. 
This is made to taste but as a general rule I have found about 1/4 - 1/2 cup less in quantity of the sugar syrup than the juice is a good mix. Once you have melted the sugar and cooled it a little add the lemon juice and mix well.  Keep tasting it and add more sugar syrup or lemon juice if you need it.

Last night we picked and juiced 18 lemons which gave us just over 2 cups of lemon juice. I then mixed up a sugar syrup mix of 1 1/2cups of water and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. This was not to tart and not to sweet.

The previous batch I made up from 8 lemons (1 cup of lemon juice) and 3/4 cup of water and 3/4 cup of sugar.  

I'm very lucky that my food processor has a juicing attachment, otherwise it would be manual juicing of the lemons

The lemon juice and sugar syrup mixed together
 Once the concentrate tastes as you like it, pour it into a jar, container or bottle. This should be washed in hot soapy water first and rinsed well.  Store it in the fridge and make it up with water to taste.  A good pour measure would be about 1 part concentrate to 5 parts water. 

The finished product :) These bottles I got for 20cents each at the op-shop


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...