Saturday, 13 August 2011

Making Ice Cream

This recipe is so so easy! It uses ingredients out of your pantry and tastes just yummy.  I found this recipe over at the Down to Earth Blog.
It uses Sweetened Condensed Milk and you will find an easy homemade recipe for this here  

Sweetened Condensed Milk

Simple Ice Cream
2 cups of Milk (I use Milk made up from Milk Powder but up to you)
1 cup of Cream
1 can of Sweetened Condensed milk (or one amount of the Sweetened Condensed Milk recipe)
1 teaspoon or so of Vanilla Extract ( I use 2 tsps) or Your choice of flavouring - Essences may not work as well but you could give them a try, just taste taste taste..

In a pot mix the milk and cream over a gentle heat.  Stir in Extract if using and keep stirring until it boils.  Let it simmer for a few minutes and then add the Sweetened Condensed Milk.  Whisk it in well and remove from the heat.  Let this cool down (I put mine into a large bowl of cold water with ice cubes as I needed it to cool faster).  
Cooling in the iced water

Pour into a container and put into the freezer without the lid on.  At this stage I added some Chocolate Chips to mine.  They all sank but as the freezing and mixing process continued they were distributed throughout the ice cream.

Into the freezer for the first freeze
 Leave it with the lid off in the freezer and keep an eye on it. When you see ice crystals forming or part of it starting to freeze, take it out and give it a good stir or beat with the beaters.  Then put back into the freezer and every 45 mins take it out and stir/beat.  Keep doing this until it freezes, put the lid on and you have your ice cream all made.  We get ice crystals in our mix but it just tastes so yummy it doesn't matter.  

On the edge you can see the beginning of the ice cream freezing, this is now ready to start the stir and freeze process

Tonight when I made mine, I added the last of my real Vanilla Extract which was about 1 tsp, so then to this I added 2 tsps of Vanilla Essence and this seemed to taste fine.  And I added the Chocolate Chips but they are completely optional.  I was thinking myself next time trying to stir through some berry jam when it is half set.  If you make hokey pokey you could also mix crushed up pieces of this through  - yummy!  Let your imagination rock out some different flavours and enjoy experimenting with it :)  I'd love to hear of some winning combinations.

Not quite ready but we had 5 little ones desperate for ice cream so they got it half frozen...didn't have ANY complaints :)

2 comments:

  1. I remember my mum making ice cream when we lived on the farm, must ask her how she made it next time I am talking with her.

    Ice cream is something else that I really should try, but my list is already too long lol. Same with the condensed milk, another must do. I use that quite often, and I am a bit wary of using Nestle goods. I have tried many recipes of Rhonda's with great success. I love her blog.

    Your ice cream sounds delicious, I bet it was enjoyed by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tania, thanks for your comment :) My Mum also made Ice Cream when I was little, but it was with fresh milk/cream straight from the cow in the paddock and I think it had eggs so it was a bit different. It's nice having these memories to share, and to feel like we can incorporate them into our lives today. This recipe is yummy so I hope you get a chance to make it soon :) I to love Rhonda's recipes and get a lot of my inspiration from her. I always look forward to reading her posts in the morning. Hope you stop by again sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...