Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Maple Syrup

I have two boys that love syrup!! I try to limit it, but whenever they have Wheatbix or Cornflakes and of course when we make pancakes they like to have a touch of syrup on top, who can blame them when it tastes so yummy :).  Bottles of Maple Syrup can get rather expensive and can have unnatural additives.  So here is my recipe for homemade Maple Syrup...granted not 'real' maple syrup but tastes just as good, it's cheap to make, so so easy to do and you know whats in it.  Just a dash on top of cereal or pancakes to sweeten the deal :)

Maple Syrup - Cheats Way (as demonstrated by my awesome ever willing assistant Master 4yrs)

1/2 cup of Water
1 cup of Brown Sugar
1 tsp of Vanilla Essence or Extract

First add the water to a pot, 


Next add the brown sugar,


Now simmer over a low heat and stir well until sugar is melted completely.  Next take off the heat, add the Vanilla Essence/Extract (I used Real Vanilla Extract this time but only because I had it in the pantry).  Give it another good stir and let it cool a while. 

N.B - I have discovered through experimentation if you let it boil a minute or so whilst constantly stirring, this helps the syrup to thicken more as it cools :)



Next pour it into your clean bottle, jar or container and keep in the fridge.  It'll thicken slightly as it cools in the fridge.


So Yummy :)

This recipe is taken from the book Destitute Gourmet, Everyday Smart Food for the Family, 2003.  Written by Sophie Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...