Wednesday, 17 August 2011

My Reflections and Posts In the Pipeline

Well it is freezing today! Yesterday it was shopping day.  I went into town at 1pm and got home at 4.45pm - I came home with a headache and a bad attitude to match! But hey I'm only human.  I only went to the places I had to, which were the library, bank, post office, nappy shop, fruit and vege shop, 2 supermarkets, and I had to pop into the Warehouse and Plastic shop to find a ball tea strainer (we are going back to leaf tea to stop using tea bags - less waste so better for the environment this way).  I was only doing the must do errands and shopping but it seemed to take forever! I did however reflect back on my experience and come up with a few bold statements, which had poor DH going 'oh dear here we go again' lol.  My reflections about my shopping trip were:
I hate shopping
I hate spending all our hard earned money
I hate consumerism
I hate crowds
I dislike being in town.
So a plan is in place now, I am making the sacrifice on not going into town on a Wednesday to our Mainly Music group.  I haven't wanted to give this up but Master 4 has kindy on a Monday, Tuesday and Thursday afternoon, so for those three days I drive into town and back twice to drop him off and pick him up.  I can't justify using the extra petrol going in the one extra day when I think we are going more for me than Master 4.  I can't justify the extra gases I am sending out into the environment just by using the car to go into a half hour mainly music session on a Wednesday.  Friday is my other day free from kindy,  I have a nice group of friends I catch up with most fridays for a coffee group.  This is important to me and Master 4 likes seeing his little friends and we are getting to know other families that have moved to the area recently as well.  So for this I will go to coffee group once a fortnight. I feel good about this decision, I can see our other friends that live in town either after a kindy session and of course we see them at school so there is no missing out on our friends.  We also tend not to use my car or go very far on the weekends if we go anywhere at all. We aren't going to miss out by not travelling into town any more than we realistically need to. It's good to know I'll only use the car 3 times one week and 4 times the next week.  We are going to live like some of our Nana's and parents used to and have carless days in our family.  The difference being, our carless days are voluntary.  More time to be smelling the roses at home and not speeding around the place.

I am trying to work my way through writing up a few posts, they are just taking me some time.  I want to make sure I get as much helpful information in them as possible with the tips and tricks we use so that hopefully, if your not already doing them, you might pick up a few suggestions of things you might like to try.  These posts are going to be on the good old budget and how its so important to have an effective working budget when living frugally and simply.  How to run a cash and envelope system which we have been doing for about 4 years now and how to reign in and manage your grocery spending effectively.  I also have a post to come about sorting out the housework load and tips I have found helpful to manage this more effectively.  I got to the point of always feeling like I was chasing my tail with the housework and I was really over it, so I devised a plan that is now working for me and I have been able to give myself back some free time - with a tidy house in the background.  I know there are plenty of people out there that feel the same way, so I hope a few of my tips may help give you a few suggestions to try.

Today I'm about to go and make some more washing powder (gulp since I started writing this blog nearly 2 weeks ago we went through 28 loads of washing) I've already put some yoghurt on and made the beds etc, and I have to sort my stockpile cupboard out today so I will try and get a post up on this also at some point.

I also have a few foodie posts in the pile to write with some yummy simple frugal homemade food :)  So hopefully you'll start seeing some of these posts coming through soon,  good things do take time though :) 

Right I'm off to potter my way through my chores and hopefully warm up in the process :)  See you back soon

Just thought I'd share this photo of my helpers in the kitchen :) Living, loving and learning together


2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth, I actually tried to add a comment to your 'Wholegrain Bread' post, but being new at this, I think I stuffed it up. I had a bit of a squizz around you blog after you left such a lovely comment on my blog, thank you, and you certainly are busy. It can be difficult to find the time to smell the roses with a young family. Mine have all grown now and the other day I read a great book I wish I had when I went through the thick of it. It is called 'Radical Homemakers' by Shannon Hayes. You might already know about it but I had to learn it's message the hard way. Thanks again, Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie, thanks for popping by. Thanks for the book suggestion, I shall hunt out the book, it sounds like something that shall be good for me to read :)I'm not quite sure what might have happened with your first comment you tried to leave, but I'm glad it worked and you could leave on this time. Hope you come by again soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...