Monday, 22 August 2011

My Tuna Pasta

I thought it was time for some more recipes.  This recipe is one I have made up myself and our family loves it.  Packed full of goodness we get two nights out of this meal.  It's also reasonably high on my frugal list as I use what I have in the cupboard/vege bin for it and we can make it stretch the two nights.  We just serve it with some additional steamed veges on the side. 

The way to make it is:

One finely chopped Onion
Some olive oil
Any veges you want to use, chop them up small - this time I used, brocolli, cauliflower, mushrooms, courgettes, capsicum and peas - normally I would also use silverbeet but it wasn't big enough to be picked
Glob of butter
A couple of desertspoons of flour
As much milk as you need to get the sauce to the right consistency for your liking - I use Milk Powder Milk and think it was around 600mls
Salt and Pepper
2 tins of 185gms Tuna
1 can of Chickpeas - optional, I add them for extra goodness
Cheese
Sweet Chilli Sauce - This is my 'secret' ingredient but is purely optional
4 good handfuls of pasta - I use whatever I have on hand, even if its a mix of shapes.  This time it happened to be macaroni

Preheat oven to 180degC.
Put a pot of salted water onto boil for the pasta.  Add it when it is boiling.
Gently saute your onion in a slosh of olive oil.  Soften the onion down and just gently start to caramilise.  Next add your other veges and a little more oil if needed and gently fry them altogether.  Once the have a little colour on them, add the glob of butter - I just cut off a chunk, but to hazard a guess maybe around 25gms.  I go by how it looks and feels.  You want to see the butter as it melts on the veges but you don't want it really drowning in it.


Next add the flour and give it a good stir around until all the veges have a buttery flour coating.  If it's looking a bit dry add a drizzle of oil or some more butter.



Now very slowly and with little quantities at a time add your milk, stirring it constantly.  Once you have a thick sauce starting you can add a little more milk each time. 



Keep going until you feel you have enough sauce to cover the mix.
Drain and rinse your chickpeas if using and add these.  Next add your drained tuna ( I use a fork to break the tuna up in the can first), and a good grind of pepper and salt.  
Grate in about half a cup of cheese and give it all a good stir through.  Taste it.  If you need more seasoning add it.  This is where I add the sweet chilli, not to much, just a drizzle over the top, then stir and taste it.  If you need more add more.
Drain and mix through the pasta.


Grease a casserole dish with spray oil and pour the mix into it.  Top with grated cheese and if you like some breadcrumbs and pop it into the oven until the cheese is melted and is lovely and coloured.  Serve on its own or with some steamed veges or salad on the side and Enjoy :)


2 comments:

  1. Looks good and a great way to use up those extra veggies. I throw in tins of chickpeas/legumes at every opportunity - what they don't know won't hurt them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good Ruth! Will definitely give this recipe a try. My family love sweet chilli sauce. Chickpeas and veggies would make a great addition...

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...