Friday, 26 August 2011

A Proud Day

This is my post for today as part of the Friday Feature that Rhonda at Down to Earth holds. I had planned my post to be on my latest sewing project but I have shared such a wonderful afternoon with my son that I thought I would share this instead.

So today on my mind is how proud I am of my wee 5 year old boy.  I am immensely proud of him.

Today was his primary school cross country.  For those that aren't familiar this, it's an event where all the children in the school participate in a running competition.  It normally involves quite a run over farms and across country land. Or in urban areas around local parks or their school fields.
The juniors of the school today got to do a run around the two fields at school which is still quite a distance for little legs.
Last night my boy had woken up with a major temperature and this morning he didn't sound the flashest at all.  I tried my hardest to convince him to stay at home today, but he was absolutely determined that he was going to go to school because he wanted to run his cross country race.  Off he went to school and I half expected to have to go pick him up, but he stuck it out.
After lunch his little brother and I headed to school and we watched him line up and do his run.  A friend had seen him this morning and said he didn't look so flash, but there he was lining up smiling and being his normal monkey self.  


They set off on the race and boy did he run his little heart out! He looked pooped but he got to the end and in a good time as well.  My heart swelled with pride.  I was so glad I was able to watch our little guy complete his run and accomplish his goal he'd set for himself. To reward his efforts we hung around and had a nice play on the playground.


 Later on I was giving him a cuddle and I told him I was very proud that even though he didn't feel so well he stuck with it and ran anyway.  He very matter of factly told me "I wasn't feeling so good in the middle of my run, but I told myself I could do it, so I just kept running until I got to the end".  Could my heart swell with pride any further?  
It was nice to hear him say that, a reassurance what we try to teach them as they grow does have an effect. A sign that mine and DH's persistence with the hard times, supporting them and believing in them when they have struggled with something has paid off.  So many times they have gotten besides themselves thinking they can't do something, and in the background we are there, telling them they can, that we believe in them and that they can do it.  That lesson obviously paid off for Master 5 today.

I stood back after talking to him and had a moment to myself.  I reflected on how extremely lucky I was to have been able to share this event with my son.  I am grateful that because of the decisions we have made to make changes to our lifestyle, to slow down and cut back and for me to be at home with our boys, I am able to be there and support my children in the things that are very important to them.  I hope that when he is older Master 5 will remember back to Mum and his little brother cheering him on during his first Cross Country and the many more that are to come.

Today is a perfect example of the positive side effects of us choosing to actively slow life down, taking the time with the small things in life.  We may not be money rich without a second income, and this can make life challenging, but by choosing to work in our home instead, I am time rich, and it really shows me that for our children that is the most important.  I love taking time for the small things, for sharing special times in my childrens lives and taking the time to just be with them. 

We take time to smell the roses together.


7 comments:

  1. Lovely post. It's the love and time that we build into our children that shapes them into strong people, as you have just illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cath. We may not have much but as long as we have love and support for each other, we will all grow. The poor little poppet crashed out this afternoon and went to bed with another big temperature, I really don't know how he got through his run. But I certainly admire the strength it must have taken him, because when he becomes unwell he suffers quite a bit. He's one determined wee man. Thanks for taking the time to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruth, I love this blog, I love that you are so proud of your dear child, I love that he is so strong and resilient and that comes from you and your DH. He is a mighty young man and it is not where he was placed in the competition it is his participation that is so honourable considering he was sick. My sons are big young men now but I have similar memories and well, you just never stop being proud of your family - no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely reminder to us mums that we do make a difference by just being there. We are making memories like the beautiful one above everyday and sometimes we forget to 'smell the roses.'Thanks for visiting my blog...just had to drop by and visit yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a touching post and you certainly have a little boy to be very proud of! I actually had tears welling up in my eyes reading your story. I hope your son is feeling much better now.
    Thanks for sharing. :)


    visiting from Down To Earth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to see your appreciation of your slower lifestyle almost as much as your joy in your child's strength of character...what a trooper he is! Very special. Have a lovely weekend
    Sue
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the lovely comments ladies :) He and his brother are real little troopers and we are immensely proud of them. I love the comment Chris about always being proud of your family, I so believe that also, I can't imagine not being as they grow through their lives :) I hope this finds that you've all had a lovely weekend, ours was good apart from Master 4 coming down with a fever and the same bug that Master 5 had. Thankfully they have both shaken the worst of it but I've kept them both home today for a quiet slow rest day. Hope to see all back soon Ladies, Regards Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...