Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Round the House

Well it was a mixed bag of weather yesterday, it was absolutely freezing with some hail storms and would you believe it...we got snow!! This is only the 2nd time in 32 years where we live that it has snowed.  It was also sunny and raining.  The weather couldn't make its mind up thats for sure.  I ended up calling it a night earlier than usual with a steaming hot bubble bath my book and a nice warm bed - bliss.

When I picked Master 5 yrs up from school yesterday it was a bit of a dry spell and we had to get the gumboots out of the car. I thought while I was there I better stick my nose into my neglected vege patch.  DH had told me we had some Cauliflower heads but I didn't believe him - those things have been growing for like ever! (well since March when they were planted and we've already been through the brocolli).  So I had a quick peek and ran back ever so excited to get the boys from the house.  I was so excited I was jumping up and down (or was that to keep warm in the cold?) anyway we all went tearing back down there and guess what treasure we found hiding in amongst the sad vege patch? These two beautiful white cauliflower heads poking out to say hello!   These are the first cauli's I have ever grown :)  Just in time, I was thinking I would need to buy some broccoli or cauliflower in the shopping today but at $3 a head I was dreading it. I haven't needed to for at least a month now with having the broccoli to harvest. Now i have been saved by my awesome vege growing skills :) - well actually it must be mother nature as all I have done recently was give them some fish fertiliser!

While outside I took the time to check the rest of the gardens and I found another surprise in the garden, a lone gerbera has flowered - in August!  While I was out I took some photos, I hope you enjoy the little glimpse into our place :)

Number 1

Number 2, I'll probably harvest this one soon


 This is our silverbeet, celery and spring onions.  The celery is looking quite sad, totally the wrong season to plant it, but hey I'm learning.  The spring onions get picked out whenever I need a few.  The silverbeet has been the most productive for us, it doesn't take long for it to grow back to re-harvest and I love it! We haven't bought any at all this winter, it has all come from our garden.  I have tried a natural way as you might be able to see to keep the slugs away and that is chopped up egg shells mixed with coffee grounds - it works quite well. I trimmed it all back when I put this mix down and when they had grown back there were only a few tiny holes in 3 of the plants.



From the driveway - I can't wait for spring growth to start in the gardens

The Lone Gerbera


The owners of our place built this birdhouse and outdoor bbq.  DH come drier weather is going to replace the rotten base so we can keep a canary or two, and we can't wait till summer to try and clean up the outdoor bbq and put it to use.  We have a gas bbq but we love the thought of using this wood bbq.
This pond was completely covered over with soil and and this garden bushy with overgrown plants.  When we moved in I stripped back the plants and to my surprise found the pond.  Come warmer weather we'll clean it out and put some goldfish into it for a nice feature in the garden, and some nice fertilising water.
These are the carrots that Master 4 yrs and I planted out only about a month or so ago.  We had no luck with them in the vege plot so devised the plan to grow them in bucket - as you can see we've had great success and they need some major thinning! We also have some yummy strawberries growing nicely in the yellow bin.
                                                                        
In another pot Master 5yrs has two strawberry plants from the kindy garden and one of them has two little flowers.  This we'll have some strawberries soon!


Come the early evening the weather had turned from sunny to this (we'd had hail and snow in the morning).  The boys enjoyed getting out to explore it all :)




Thanks for popping in to visit.  Today is shopping day for me, so shortly I'll be dropping Master 4 into kindy and heading to the shops.  I hope I can get through quickly today.  I am also working on my stock pile to see if I can reduce my amount of shopping from fortnightly to once a month, of course this is excluding dairy, fruit and veges though.  A post will come along soon on this I am sure :)  

Enjoy your day, or if your visiting from the other side of the globe, I wish you a good nights sleep :)

2 comments:

  1. OH how I wish it were a good nights sleep I was looking forward to instead of a long night at work 9:30 PM to 5 AM or possibly 7 AM... LONG NIGHT! But it will pass all too quickly I'm sure. I am thoroughly enjoying your Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky, as I trundle my way through my jobs today, I will be thinking of you slogging it out at work! You poor thing, I don't know how you manage nightshifts like that. I'm glad you're enjoying my blog, I like popping over to see yours as well :) It's a nice reflective practice writing about what we are doing..and I must say I think it helps keep you honest and on track lol.

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...