Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Toad in the Hole

This is a family favourite in our house.  It's a frugal favourite also :) You just have to remember to chill the batter for at least half an hour first, I sometimes forget to do this, it still works but the texture and taste isn't quite as good. The sausages are the toad, the batter is the hole :)

Toad in the Hole

Sausages - any plain ones will work and I only use 3 or 4 for the size I make, costing me about $3.50NZ for the meat.

For the batter-
1 cup Flour
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
2 Eggs - lightly beaten ( I have been known to make this with one egg and it works just as well)
1/2 cup plus 2 extra tablespoons of Milk


If not using baking paper to line your pan/tin (I just use a slice tin) you want a good knob of butter that you melt in your pan and spread around to prevent sticking. The butter method gives a nice crust to the underneath, however depending on what pan I use I sometime use baking paper to stop it sticking.

Sift flour and salt into a bowl.  Make a well and pour in the eggs and milk and whisk it well.  Add more milk if needed to make a smooth batter (similar to pancake batter).  Cover and chill in the fridge for half an hour or more. If using a bigger pan/tin, double the mix.

When the batter has chilled precook the sausages, I pierce mine and pop them into the microwave for 2 mins, turn them over and give them another 2 mins.
Cut the sausages up into chunks, line the tin or melt the butter in the tin and pour the batter in (if the batter has thickened up to much while chilling whisk in a little more milk).  Pop the sausages into the batter and bake at around 190degC until the batter has cooked, risen and is golden.  Don't be alarmed when it cools once it's out of the oven it will sink back down.  I serve this with steamed veges on the side, but up to you :) Lashings of Tomato Sauce make this taste even better according to our boys. This is enough to feed us for one meal and lunch day for DH.








3 comments:

  1. I've heard about Toad in a hole but never seen one. Looks like a treat and a half. so sorry to hear you are not well today. Make the most of your time on the couch. Goodness me, we don't get enough of it. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...the ultimate comfort food, Ruth...hope it helps you get well very quickly,
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I haven't had this for ages, might just make some for our tea tomorrow night...

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...