Monday, 5 September 2011

Mexican Beef and Bean Casserole

This is a favorite of ours, so delicious with plenty of flavour, very filling and can feature either on a summer or winter menu so it's one versatile dish.  Of course being a recipe that features regularly in our house it uses regular ingredients from the cupboard and is low cost to make.  I can't for the life of me think of where I found the original recipe so sorry can't quote that in here, but I don't think it resembles it to closely now anyway. As with most of my recipes I have spent a while tweaking it a fair bit.  In winter I make this dish and serve with rice and steamed veges (tonight was peas as I had a million other things on the go and forgot to put the steamer on, DUH!).  In summer I serve it with a loaf of hot out of the oven bread and side salad - delish!

Ruth's Mexican Beef and Bean Casserole

Olive Oil
400gms or so of Stewing steak (you know the low grade cut with plenty of fat that stews to beautiful and tender melt in your mouth pieces of meat.  Of course you can use less or more in qty depending on what you have on hand)
1 large or 2 small onions diced
1 tablespoon of Paprika
1 or 2 Carrots chopped
Other veges if wanted - I use Courgettes or Capsicums, I have also been known to throw in some mushrooms
1 400gm can of chopped Tomatoes
2 good tablespoons of Tomato Paste mixed with 1/2 cup of Water
2 teaspoons of Mexican Seasoning Mix (see my post here http://comesmelltheroses.blogspot.com/2011/09/mexican-flavouringseasoning-mix.html   for the recipe)
1 can of Kidney Beans, drained and Rinsed
Sprinkling of Raw Sugar, Basil and some Salt and Pepper to season
1/2 cup of Beef Stock
2 good teaspoons of cornflour and a little water for thickening at the end

Heat a good slosh of oil in a pan.  Cube the beef and brown of in batches, setting aside once its browned.  
Into the pan add the onions and more oil if needed and soften these down and start to brown.  
Add the paprika and stir it through well.  Cook for a few minutes.
Next add the Carrots and any other veges and cook for a few minutes.
Add the can of tomatoes and the paste and water mix.  Stir well and add to this the Mexican seasoning.  
Drain and rinse the Kidney Beans and add to the pan along with the sugar and other seasonings, and the beef stock.
Now add the beef and slow cook in the oven at 150degC for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender.  (Make sure it's in an oven safe dish though!) Taste and re-season if required, then if you want to thicken it a little add the cornflour/water and mix through. I pop the lid back on for 5 mins but just leave it to stand on the stove and this thickens the sauce just a touch.  Serve :)

So yummy! This makes enough for one meal for the four of us, some leftovers for DH's lunch and enough for a Pie filling for the next nights dinner (which will actually do DH's lunch the following day also).  So you can stretch it quite far - 2 dinners and 2 work lunches Bonus!.  You could bulk it out further with more beans and veges if you wanted to, or if you have no beef on hand, just substitute the beef for a second can of kidney beans for a meatless meal.






Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Looks yum, will try that out for sure and thanks for the mexican seasoning mix, have tried but never got it quite right, the packet ones are way too salty. We seem to be a similar blog path this week :) with the meatless meals and using leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen R thanks for popping by :) I hope you give it a try it really is yummy, oh and it tasted nice as a pie :) Loving leftovers! I love my mexican mix as I know just what is in it, it's not full of yucky additives and as you say it's not full of salt like commercial ones can be.

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...