Monday, 5 September 2011

Mexican Flavouring/Seasoning Mix

This is a very versatile seasoning mix that you can use in anything you want.  Great for the flavour base to Nachos, Tacos and anywhere a little Mexican flavour is wanted, you could even try it as a spice rub on meat.  I have been using it for years, and keep an old jam jar with some already made up on my spice shelf.  It is an important addition to my Mexican Beef and Bean Casserole I make.  This recipe is one from Sophie Gray's book, ENJOY! (2007)


Combine together:

1 heaped tablespoon of Ground Cumin
2 teaspoons of Sugar
1 teaspoon of Salt
1 teaspoon of Oregano
1 tablespoon of Chilli Powder (you can use less if you aren't a big hot chilli fan)

Great stored  like the picture in its own special jar so you always have some on hand :)

3 comments:

  1. This looks like something I'd like to try! Also what is the recipe for Homemade Lip Balm? Can hardly wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think it's so important to make your mixes like this as the commercial ones have nasty additives included. Even using the individual spices rather than curry powder is so much nicer.

    The chilli looks delicious,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi quintuplicatemom, thanks for popping by, I'll be trying to get the lipbalm recipe up in the next week or so, sorry it's taking a while. I've really been knocked about by this sinus infection so everything has been on the backburner until my head is clearer. But I promise I will do it soon :)

    Hi Sue, It's so nice making food from scratch isn't it and knowing just what has gone into it, and that it's not full of additives etc. I have a Chicken Curry recipe I have crafted myself which uses a combination of different spices instead of relying on curry powder and it is just delicious! Will try and post it soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...