Wednesday, 19 October 2011

Carrot and Kumara Soup - So Easy!

Soup Soup Soup, I have yet to master the world of soup making, but I have a feeling I am on my way to moderate success. I can make a pretty good Minestrone Soup, but that is about all I have on my list of soup successes...until now that is :)
I was given by my friend C a load of carrots (I am very fortunate in that I get free carrots from her Mum) and as I still had some left in the fridge I wondered what to do with all of the carrots. I put my thinking cap on and came up with the idea to try some Carrot Soup.  I tinkered around last week making a Tomato Soup which I have still to perfect, but using some of the base recipe from this and having a quick search on the internet I came up with this combination to try.  BTW for those that aren't sure Kumara is Sweet Potato, although you could substitute this for a normal potato if you have no Kumara.
It is just the YUMMIEST and the EASIEST soup to make and here I was doubting if it would work. 

CARROT AND KUMARA SOUP

Approx 1 kg of Carrots (well enough to cover the bottom of a roasting pan, I didn't weigh mine)
2-3 Kumara (Sweet Potato or substitute with plain Potato's)
Butter
Salt and Pepper
1-2 Onions
4 cloves of Garlic (or as many or little as you like)
1 teaspoon dried Coriander or a good handful of chopped Coriander
1 teaspoon dried Cumin Powder
A few good pinches/shakes Cumin Seeds
1 litre of Chicken Stock
1/2 cup of Milk

Peel and roughly chop the Carrots and Kumara and place into the bottom of a roasting pan (try to keep them in a single layer).  Put knobs of butter randomly throughout the pan and a good sprinkle of salt and black pepper.  Roast in oven at 220degC until they start to brown up. You might want toss them around a bit once the butter is melted so they are all coated.
Once the veges are looking like they are starting to brown, finely chop the onion and garlic.  Melt another good knob of butter in a soup pot (or a really big pot) and gently saute the onion and garlic.  When they are soft add the coriander, cumin powder and cumin seeds.  Give it a good stir around and gently cook for a couple of minutes.  
Add the roasted veges when they are slightly browned.  Mix the onion mix through the roasted veges and cook for a few minutes.
Add the stock and the milk and simmer until the carrots and kumara are soft.
Blend/process in batches until smooth (or leave a bit chunky if you prefer), return to the pan, bring back to a simmer and season with salt and pepper (I found I added more pepper than salt but it's all to personal taste).

Serve with a swirl of cream or milk, a sprinkle of coriander and a grind of pepper, and of course some toast soldiers :)


Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ruth, thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog. I have enjoyed reading through yours. I have never had much luck with soup, will give yours ago, it sounds very tasty. It should be a hit in this house as carrots are Master 12's favourite and sweet potato is Miss 14's favourite. Sounds like you and your husband really enjoyed your weekend away and well needed. I hope your two boys are soon feeling much better, I can remember when my two had chicken pox about seven years ago now. Not alot of fun! I will enjoy regularly checking in on your blog and trying out some of your recipes...they sound delish. Enjoy the rest of your week.
    Regards Sharon
    p.s. love the name of your blog, roses are my favourite flower.

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...