Monday, 10 October 2011

Checkerboard Cookies

I haven't posted any recipes for sweet treats recently - which is bizarre since there is always a sweet treat to be found in my pantry.  So time to get on with sharing a few of the recipes I like to bake :) The recipes I make are made with normal ingredients you'd find in your pantry. There will be no costly ingredients (unless I state them at the start of the recipe) so if you want to make one of my recipes there should be no running out to get special ingredients to make any of  'my' recipes.  Living basically and frugally means I use 'standard' cupboard essentials in my cooking and baking :)

These cookies are a cute little cookie.  I haven't made them in a while so it was nice to re-acquaint myself with them again :)  The recipe is from a Destitute Gourmet Cookbook by Sophie Gray - More Stunning Food from Small Change.  What I really like about these cookies are they can easily be frozen in their roll for a few months to be baked at another time, or keep them in the fridge for up to a week.  The recipe yields quite a lot (I did a 1 1/2 times mix today and got nearly 40 cookies from it, so I was able to give some to my friend who came visiting and still have some leftover for my pantry tin).

CHECKERBOARD COOKIES

200grams Butter (Cubed and Softened)
1/2 cup White Sugar
2 1/2 cups Plain Flour
1 1/2 tablespoons Cocoa
1 1/2 tablespoons Coconut

Cream Butter and Sugar together until well creamed and the mix is fluffy and pale in colour (about 5mins).  Sift in the flour and work it into the mix with your hands or a spatula.  Work in until well blended.  Seperate into 2 bowls and to one bowl add the Cocoa and the other bowl add the Coconut.  Mix in well.  

Next take each mix from the bowls and form into 2 logs on the bench.  Cut the logs down the centre so you create 2 brown logs and 2 white logs.  Very gently and carefully (this mix breaks up easily but in saying that is easy to push back together) place one of the white logs and one of the brown logs side by side and gently press them into each other.  Then carefully pick up the other logs and place them on top - the brown one sits on top of the bottom white one and the white one sits on top of the bottom brown one.  Gently push together.  Place into clingfilm and roll together.  Place in fridge or freezer to firm up.  Either leave them until firm, about 20mins in the freezer, and double that for the fridge, or leave them until you are ready to use them at another time ( I have been known to just give the frozen logs away to friends with the instructions of just to slice them up and bake them :) goes down a treat :) ).

Using a sharp knife slice off the biscuits and place on a baking tray lined with paper, bake for 12 mins or until starting to golden up at roughly 180degC.







MMMM! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the kids and I wil be trying those, they look great, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Jen :) they are yummy :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...