Thursday, 13 October 2011

Raspberry Heart Muffins

Time for another sweet treat....these muffins are just delish! I've had some in my tin that I made on Monday and they have been helping me through these Chicken Pox providing me with a comforting hit of sweetness with my coffee at morning tea time....and might I confess they may have been eaten at afternoon tea as well several times this week...oh well I'll start back walking and work them off when school goes back :)

The recipe is another of Sophie Gray's from her book Destitute Gourmet - Delicious.

RASPBERRY HEART MUFFINS

This mix makes 12 normal sized muffins (as opposed to mini muffins)
2 cups Plain Flour
3/4 cup White Sugar
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
75grams Butter
1 cup Milk
1 Egg, lightly beaten
Raspberry Jam (or you could use any other type of jam)

DRIZZLE TOPPING
1/4 cup of Lemon Juice (I find another whole lemon provides enough for this)
1/4 cup of White Sugar

Grease muffin tin and heat oven to 190degC.   
In a bowl combine sifted flour, baking powder and sugar.  Grate in the lemon zest.
In another bowl (or pot), melt the butter.  When melted add the milk, lemon juice (1tbsp) and the egg. Give it a good whisk up.
Make a well in the centre of your flour mix and pour in the butter and milk mix.  Gently mix through until combined and spoon into muffin tins.
Once all the muffin tins are filled with the batter take the raspberry jam and a teaspoon.  Using half teaspoons of raspberry jam, dollop the jam into the middle of each muffin batter.  The recipe states to just dollop it in and leave it, but I tend to swirl a little of the muffin batter over the top of it (when I didn't swirl the batter to cover the jam I found during baking the jam just spread over the top of the muffin and you got nothing in the middle, but covering it with the batter lightly you get a perfect little dollop of jam encased in the cooked muffin).
Pop in the oven and bake until a skewer comes out clean and they are golden brown - about 17mins.

When they come out of the oven immediately mix together the measure of lemon juice and sugar for the drizzle topping.  Take the muffins (yes they will be hot) and place them on a surface you don't mind getting sticky (I just use a chopping mat).  When the muffins are out of the tin, using a teaspoon, spoon the topping mix over each muffin.  This will soak in and oh some yummy! When the topping stops dripping you can pop them on a rack to keep cooling.  If you wish to when the muffins are cool, dust with icing sugar.  I find that it doesn't really need it though.



Enjoy :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...