Monday, 7 November 2011

Easy Lunch Quiche (or anytime meal)


Yesterday I did a big afternoon in the kitchen preparing for the next few days.  I made a big double batch of Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins for the tin and freezer, a big Chicken Casserole for dinner for a few nights and as dinner was being stretched out for dinners I knew MrW would have no leftovers for his lunches at work.  So I made a yummy big Quiche for him that will give him 4 lunches.  This is a great healthy recipe to have on hand for either dinner, to freeze for lunches or take on a picnic.  I've made them in muffin trays and this worked well for small portion sizes for the kids or as a snack. I'm no Quiche expert but this recipe is so easy and tastes yummy!

This recipe comes from a book my friend has written and published - Motherhood: from my Kitchen, by Ashlee Sturme.  The link to the Motherhood Supermum Facebook page is here.  The book is packed full of great recipes tailored to busy Supermum's (or anyone who loves to cooking and wants some new ideas).

Self-Crusting Quiche

4 Eggs (I use 5 small size 6 eggs)
1 1/2 cups of Milk (I make mine from Milk Powder with no troubles)
1/2 cup Self-Raising Flour
Grated Cheese (1 1/2cups or so) - Optional
Chopped Ham, Bacon or Cooked Chicken if you have any on hand, if not go Vegetarian
1 Onion, finely diced
3 cloves Garlic - optional
As many veges chopped finely that you have on hand - use a variety of Capsicum, Mushrooms, Carrots, Silverbeet, Spinach, Courgettes, Peas, Sweetcorn, Celery and any others you can think of
I also throw in finely diced Oregano, Basil, Italian Parsley, Chives and Thyme to boost the flavour
Salt and Pepper (Garlic Salt works well)
Optional - A glob of Sweet Chilli Sauce

Preheat oven to 180degC.  Grease your dish/muffin trays for baking the mix in.
Beat the eggs together and add the milk mixing in well.
Prepare all your vegetables by chopping/dicing finely. 
Add to the milk and egg the vegetables and the cheese and meat if using and mix through well.
Sift in the Self-Raising Flour and mix through.  Season with Salt and Pepper (add the Sweet Chilli if using).
Pour mix into either a dish or into muffin trays (great childs lunchbox size) and bake for approximately 40mins for a full sized quiche or 25mins for muffin sized quiches, Until the middles bounces back and is cooked.  The mix will puff up in the oven and sink when it's pulled out of the oven (well mine did anyway).  Great enjoyed hot or cold, or let cool a little cut it into desired pieces and freeze.

Just a note on the cheese - It's very yummy with the cheese but also tastes great without any, which I found out last night as I had no cheese on hand :)


4 Portions ready for the freezer for MrW's Lunches :)

3 comments:

  1. Make this quiche frequently, meal one night and leftovers for lunch next day. Also good as you can use any veges in fridge as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!

    Quiches are a favourite in our house too, a good way to use up veggies...I dont put bacon or the like in mine as I am staying away from processed meat as much as possible, and they still taste great because vegetables have lots of flavour...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this recipe, my friend calls it Impossible Pie as it is impossible to stuff it up! We add tuna, mushrooms and corn with lemon juice...yumm

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...