Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Prawn Linguini - My version

Hello! 
Today was shopping day in our house (yes I really must get onto those shopping posts!) and as usual I did my menu plan before heading out.  I came across a recipe that I tried and adapted to 'our' perfection last summer that had fallen into a slumber in my stack of loose recipes, so I thought I would make it tonight, with fresh Prawns from the supermarket......MMMMM we've all remembered how much we love it!


This recipe is so easy, quick to make and uses fresh ingredients, it just gives it that certain something :)  The original recipe came from my Jamie Oliver Ipod App, but true to my style I've adapted it to our tastes and my style of cooking.  The boys love love love this, and I think from a Mama's point of view it's pretty important for children to be trying (and liking) all sorts of dishes and tastes.

MrW and I costed it out and this dish cost $2.89NZ per serve for our four servings, and I must say they were very generous servings :) You could stretch it out and make it five servings at $2.31NZ per serving and add a side salad.  We think that is pretty good going, since we consider this to be a 'fancy' meal on the menu that gets made once in a while as a treat dinner for us all.

PRAWN LINGUINI - {MrsW style}

Enough Dried Spaghetti Pasta to feed 4-5 (about half a packet I used)
A good few sloshes of Olive Oil (enough to cover the bottom of your pan)
4 cloves of Garlic - Diced 
3 or so Spring Onions - Diced up using all of the spring onion not just the white bulb, you could substitute this for a Red Onion
1/2 a Capsicum - Finely Diced
1 glass of White Cooking Wine (aka the cheapest Sav you can find)
1 punnet or a generous handful of Tiny (Cherry) Tomatoes cut in half
A few good dollops of Sweet Chilli to taste
A handful of well chopped fresh Basil Leaves
300gms of Prawns - I used pre-cooked shelled Prawns but you could use raw shelled Prawns just cook them for longer
Salt and Cracked Pepper
Sprinkling of Raw Sugar

Put salted water onto the boil and cook Pasta until al dente (firm but not hard).
Meanwhile heat your Olive Oil in a pan (I use a wok), and gently fry off the garlic until it slightly colours.
Add in the Spring Onions and Capsicum and fry off for a few mins.
Add the wine and simmer at a high simmer for a few mins to reduce it slightly. (The alcohol disappears with cooking so its ok for kids and pregnant Mama's)
Toss in the Tomatoes and Sweet Chilli sauce (the amount depends on your personal tastes, I use about 3 good globs/sloshes) and simmer for a while.  I find at this point I'm stewing the tomatoes down which gives beautiful flavour.
After the Tomatoes soften slightly add the prawns, fresh basil and sprinkle over some Raw Sugar.  Cook for a minute longer and season with salt and pepper.....taste taste taste.  
Re-season if needed or add some more Sweet Chilli Sauce if you want a bit more flavour.
Keep in mind once the prawns are in if using pre-cooked, you don't want to cook for to long or they go tough, you really just want to heat them through.  If using raw Prawns cook until they are pink all over. It doesn't take very long though.
Lastly drizzle over a little more Olive Oil, drain Pasta and toss the pasta through the Sauce.

Serve into bowls, you can sprinkle over some Parmesan Cheese and cracked Pepper if preferred or have it as is, then ENJOY!

All ingredients in and stewing away

Toss through the pasta

Serve and Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Oh you had me a prawns...yum..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to share this post with my step-Dad as he LOVES shrimp dishes.And I have printed it off for us to try this next week. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're most welcome lovely ladies! I hope you like it as much as we do, we all think it's super yum :) if you make it let me know how you get on :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...