Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Ruth's Chocolate Brownie - A Monday : Baking Day Feature


Welcome to my ''Monday: Baking Day'' Feature. Every Monday is baking day in my kitchen following a phrase over here in NZ from the old Farmbake Cookies adverts. So I thought it would be a great way to share some of my yummy baking recipes, some being my old faithful recipes and some new, but I hope they are recipes that may inspire you to create Monday: Baking Day in your kitchen :). I love to swap recipes so if you have something scrummy to share then please feel free to create the recipe post on your blog and leave a comment with a link to your post for us all to share. Just remember though if you have a recipe to share from another blog, that's great, but please do the right thing and provide a link back to the original recipe, this is also a great way to share our blogs :). HAPPY BAKING ..... and enjoy!

Well this is a special day for all that have popped by to see what's been happening in my kitchen! Today I will share with you my SECRET Brownie Recipe - shhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone ;) ;) LOL, I was just informed by MrW as we sit here devouring our late night Brownie treat that I started making this Brownie in 2004 or thereabouts, I must say I did not realise it's been a treat in my kitchen for that long! My how time flies!  Anyway back to the Brownie, this is a recipe I have spent many years perfecting.  It is a recipe I have made up to cure my Brownie-itis  that is neither loaded in expensive ingredients (I mean being frugal does not mean being able to put a whole block of chocolate in one recipe no matter how devine!) and it does not contain a tray of eggs, which a few years back when this came into existence I had an egg intolerance/allergy which meant I couldn't have more than 2 eggs at a stretch in any baking.  It also works with Egg Replacer for any that cannot have egg at all. I seem to have now settled with that allergy and can tolerate eggs a lot better, however I still have not changed this recipe :)
It is my go to recipe for wanting something quite yummy in a hurry, it's gorgeous hot and cold so it's often one I whip out when guests are coming or I'm going somewhere and I have half an hour to prepare something....how devine is it to walk into a kitchen where fresh brownie has just been pulled out of the oven!  It also works as the most delish desert with Ice Cream or Cream (and strawberries), you just cook it for slightly less time for the gooey centre that compliments a desert perfectly :)  It keeps for a couple of days in an airtight container also......if it lasts that long that is!

Ruth's Chocolate Brownie

125grams Butter
1/4 cup Cocoa
1 cup White Sugar
2 Eggs
1 good slosh of Vanilla Essence (about 2 teaspoons)
Just shy of 1 cup of Self-Raising Flour (or just shy of 1 cup Plain Flour and 1 teaspoon Baking Powder)
1/3cup or so Chocolate Chips - completely optional
A handful of White Chocolate Buttons - enough to dot over the top of the brownie

In a pot melt the Butter and add in the Cocoa.  Whisk over the heat for a few minutes.
Take off the heat and if adding Chocolate Chips add them now and mix until melted.  Add the Sugar and give it a good whisk around.  Add Eggs one at a time whisking in well after each one, add the Vanilla Essence and mix.
Change to a spatula/wooden spoon and fold in the Flour.
Pour into a slice tin lined with baking paper.
Now this is where I get a bit tricky - place White Chocolate Buttons all over the top of the mix, gently with the tip of your finger swirl the mix over the chocolate.  The point of this is, if you just push the chocolate into the mix it sinks and is hard to cut the bottom and it breaks easier, if you just leave them uncovered they break the top all up, so by swirling the mix gently over the top the chocolate sits in the middle of the brownie and stays there.
Bake at 160degC for around 17-18mins, check with a skewer, you want it to come out mostly clean, if a little sticks to it, it's just perfect to be slightly softer, you don't want to overcook this or it will dry out when cold.  If you want it for a desert about 15-16mins is normally sufficient.  Dust with Icing Sugar and cut into desired pieces :)


Gently swirl the mixture over the Chocolate Buttons



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...