Monday, 27 February 2012

Rice Bubble Cake with a twist - Monday : Baking Day

Welcome to my ''Monday: Baking Day'' Feature. Every Monday is baking day in my kitchen following a phrase over here in NZ from the old Farmbake Cookies adverts. So I thought it would be a great way to share some of my yummy baking recipes, some being my old faithful recipes and some new, but I hope they are recipes that may inspire you to create Monday: Baking Day in your kitchen :). I love to swap recipes so if you have something scrummy to share then please feel free to create the recipe post on your blog and leave a comment with a link to your post for us all to share. Just remember though if you have a recipe to share from another blog, that's great, but please do the right thing and provide a link back to the original recipe, this is also a great way to share our blogs :). HAPPY BAKING ..... and enjoy!


I remember having Rice Bubble cake as a wee one, oh so yummy! Gooey stickiness heaven :) Last year my neighbour introduced me to this idea, and now I have adopted it as the way I make Rice Bubble cake in our house - with a bit of a (somewhat healthy addition) twist. Thanks S!! I like to use it as an alternative Muesli Bar in the kids lunchboxes as well as a general sweet treat :)


Rice Bubble Cake - With a Twist



125grams Butter
1/2 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
2 tablespoons Honey
4 cups Rice Bubbles/Pops
Twist additions - Add any or all of these:    Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Cranberries, Coconut, Linseeds and anything else you might like to add (a small handful should do of each :))

In a pot melt together the Butter, Sugar, Vanilla Essence and Honey.  Bring to a slow boil and boil for approx 5 minutes.  You don't want to let this burn at all so I stir it constantly at the boil.

Take it off the heat and mix through the Rice Bubbles and Twist Additions and mix until it is all coated in the Honey and Butter mix.  Push it into a lined slice tin and let cool for about 10-15mins, then cut into squares or bars.  Bob's your uncle, you're all finished :) I then place the slice when totally cooled into a container and keep it in the fridge.

N.B - The honey mix gets very sticky so you want to fill your pot straight away with hot soapy water to make cleaning easier.

If you have children that like novelty bars like LCM's this is a slightly better version for them and if you desire you can melt down some white or dark chocolate and drizzle it over the top of the bar.

Enjoy :)



The base recipe comes from this link here , I have just altered it to suit how I like it :)








2 comments:

  1. I have not made this for years. Will have to give it a go with the healthies added. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...