Monday, 23 July 2012

Chocolate Fudge Slice - Monday : Baking Day

Welcome to my ''Monday: Baking Day'' Feature. Every Monday is baking day in my kitchen following a phrase over here in NZ from the old Farmbake Cookies adverts. So I thought it would be a great way to share some of my yummy baking recipes, some being my old faithful recipes and some new, but I hope they are recipes that may inspire you to create Monday: Baking Day in your kitchen :). I love to swap recipes so if you have something scrummy to share then please feel free to create the recipe post on your blog and leave a comment with a link to your post for us all to share. Just remember though if you have a recipe to share from another blog, that's great, but please do the right thing and provide a link back to the original recipe, this is also a great way to share our blogs :). HAPPY BAKING ..... and enjoy!

This is an absolute favourite in our house and often I whip it up (as it is a very quick slice to make), if we are having one of those 'terrible' chocolate cravings that we sometimes have :)  I've had this recipe for years and years and I'm not sure where it originated from however I was given it by a friends Mum when I was in highschool.

Chocolate Fudge Slice

1 pkt Vanilla or Round Wines - crushed
150 grams (6oz) Butter
6 good Dessert Spoons White Sugar
2 heaped Dessert Spoons Cocoa
2 Eggs - beaten
2 tsp Vanilla Essence

Crush the Biscuits either in the Food Processor or in a bag and smash it with a rolling pin. I process mine until the biscuit crumbs are quite fine with only a few small lumps but it's up to what you prefer.  If you like a bit of crunch leave the biscuits crumbs a bit coarser.
In a pot over a low heat melt the Butter.   Add to this the Sugar and Cocoa.  Give a good stir around.  
In a bowl beat the eggs with a fork and then add to the pot.  Making sure you keep stirring, bring it up to boiling point but without actually letting it boil.  If it boils you will cook the egg and have pieces of cooked egg white in the mix.  Stir for a few mins and then take it off the heat.  
Add the Vanilla Essence and the Biscuit Crumbs and mix it all through thoroughly.
Place it into a slice tin lined with baking paper (you'll need to push the mix around to get it to fill the tin and smooth off the top), refrigerate to chill. You can put it into the freezer for 10-15mins if you need it quickly.

When cold ice with chocolate icing. Cut into desired pieces and indulge :) Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

My Chocolate Icing

I don't actually measure out my icing anymore, I just tend to wing it :) But here are some approximate measurements

50grams Butter
2 cups Icing Sugar (you may need more)
1 - 2 Tablespoons Cocoa (to taste)
A good Slosh or two of Vanilla Essence
Boiling Water to mix

Melt the butter and sift in the Icing Sugar and Cocoa.  Add the Vanilla Essence and give it a little mix with a fork. Add a tiny bit of boiling water and stir, keep adding little quantities of boiling water and mixing after each until you reach the desired consistency, I like mine to be quite thick but spreadable.
If you need to, add more icing sugar and/or cocoa to taste or until the mix is at the consistency you prefer.
Spread over the slice and if you choose to decorate it try sprinkles/coconut or grated chocolate but this is totally optional :)

Tip - when icing cakes/slices have a glass/cup of boiling water nearby so as the icing starts to set and is getting a little harder to spread dip your knife into the water and this will heat it up enough to melt the icing a little you are working with so it spreads easily.  Its also a great way to smooth out the appearance of icing :)














ENJOY :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...