Sunday, 15 July 2012

Pancakes

Pancakes on Sunday Morning.......a little tune sung in our house by two little boys (and the big kids to) when every once in a while we decide to make a Sunday special treat pancake breakfast :)

I'm not sure where I got this recipe from, but I have had it in my recipe book for a few years.  It's a never fail, totally scrummy pancake recipe...I think it may have come off the back of a packet of something.  All I know is it took a lot of trial and error over the years to find a pancake recipe I like to work with and like the taste of and this one ticks all the boxes for me :) There is no need to make pancakes/pikelets out of a bottle, you know the ones...just add milk/water and mix? those are full of ingredients/additives/preservatives we don't need to be putting into our bodies and they don't taste anywhere as nice as ones made from scratch with fresh ingredients. I hope you find these just as nice as we do :)

PANCAKES

1 cup Self-Raising Flour
1 Tbsp Caster Sugar
1 Egg - Beaten
200ml Milk (can be made with milk powder milk)
1 tbsp Butter - Melted
Extra butter for greasing the pan

Combine Flour and Sugar in a bowl.
In another bowl melt the Butter in the microwave, add the Milk and Egg.  Mix with a whisk.
Make a well in the middle of the flour mix, slowly pour in the Milk mix and gently whisk it as you are pouring.  Make sure it is mixed well together.  You may need to add a little extra milk until the batter is thick but pourable.  (I drop it off a spoon and if it falls and holds a pattern in the mix for a few seconds I know its the right consistency - you don't want it to runny or you'll end up with more of a crepe, to thick and it won't spread enough in the pan).

Whilst mixing the batter gently heat a frying pan or skillet on a low heat with a little butter to very lightly cover the bottom of the pan.  It is important not to let it get to hot or the butter will burn.
When you can see little bubbles in the butter its ready, so using a serving spoon pour in some mix, you want about 1/4 cup of mix in the pan.  Pick the pan up and gently tip it from side to side to get the batter to spread out into a larger circle. Re-butter the pan with a small knob of butter as needed.  
If the butter starts looking burnt, use a paper towel to wipe out the excess and start over with new butter.
When the first side starts to show bubbles, it is cooked on the other side and ready to turn.  With a fish slice gently lift the pancake and flip it over.

To keep your pancakes warm while you are cooking them all, heat a plate in the microwave for roughly 30 seconds to warm it up, and after each one is cooked slide it onto the plate and keep them covered with a tea towel.  The heat from the plate and the pile of pancakes keep them nice and warm until serving.

This mix we found serves 2 adults and 2 small children.  For larger servings I  make 1 1/2 times the mix, but use two eggs instead of 1.  It depends how large you like your pancakes and how many people are indulging, double or triple the mix if needed :)

My Tips - I have a particular element on the stove I like to use, however it is one that seems to be a lot hotter even on low than the rest.  To deal with this, I keep it on 1 the whole time, and add a tiny knob of butter to the pan before each pancake.  After every second pancake I wipe out the excess butter with a paper towel and add new butter.  If I don't do this the butter burns and the pancakes come out dark brown instead of a yummy golden brown.








We like to serve our pancakes with a little whipped cream, some homemade Maple Syrup (find the recipe here), some sliced banana and if we have some in the freezer some frozen berries defrosted in the microwave....nothing quite like berry juice mixed with the cream!  Another way to serve them without the real indulgence of cream and syrup, is with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkling of sugar.

ENJOY!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...