Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Homemade Muesli


Good Morning!

It's shopping day today....I put it off yesterday as I had an assignment to get finished. So the cupboards are bare apart from a few staples which I have in my stockpile, I hadn't even put any bread on yesterday! I may be avoiding this round of grocery shopping, it's the last one before MrW gets paid and living on a monthly salary seems to mean the last food shop is a tight one (I really need to start my cash and envelope system again), alas I will head out and channel my inner frugalness and we will survive! Oh did I mention it's school holidays? I will have the kids in tow but in saying that they are pretty good most of the time when shopping as long as they have a nice full belly before we go, I think that is the biggest lesson I have learnt over the years of being a Mum....never take hungry kids shopping!

I ran out of my muesli the other day and was just having smoothies for breakfast and a little of the kids 'healthy chocolate pops' that I had made, but this morning after a late night finishing the assignment I thought I would quickly whip up a batch of my muesli as it was just want I felt like for breakfast.  Serve with a berry smoothie and a hot cuppa - bliss :)


I thought you might like the recipe to :) It's preservative free, refined sugar free, wheat free and if you can't tolerate the gluten in the oats omit the rolled oats and replace with an extra portion of the remaining ingredients. The coconut oil is a fantastic superfood to be enjoyed, I try and stick with virgin coconut oil as I know it has had minimal processing.


Yummy Homemade Muesli


1 cup Rolled Oats
1 cup Shredded Coconut
A handful of Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds and any nuts you like or have on hand (I used sliced almonds, chopped hazelnuts work nicely to)
3 tbsp of Coconut Oil
2 tbsp Pure Maple Syrup or Honey

Preheat oven to 150degC

Melt the coconut oil, I do this by placing hot water in a bowl and place a smaller bowl into this containing the coconut oil (A bit like a double boiler). If using solid honey add this to let it warm up and go runny with the coconut oil.


In a bowl mix together the oats, shredded coconut, seeds and nuts.

When the coconut oil has melted pour it over the muesli mix along with the maple syrup/honey.  Get your (clean) hands into the bowl and mix all the ingredients together until you can feel the mix is well coated in the coconut oil.

Spread out on a baking tray or roasting dish so it is an even layer. Place in the oven, leave for approx 10mins and the muesli should be beginning to turn golden. Using a fish slice gently lift and mix around the muesli on the tray and then lay flat again, do this every 3mins or so until the entire batch is lovely and golden.
 
Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray. When cooled mixed through some dried fruit (I use raisins they work really nicely with the flavours, but you could use cranberries, chopped apricots or dates etc). Place in an airtight container and store in the pantry.

Serve with your choice of milk or yoghurt :)

Before Baking

Golden and Delicious

All ready to go :)

Tip - When using maple syrup, the muesli will feel like it has dried out when it is golden, however when using honey the mix will go golden quicker but won't actually be dried out enough, it may look like it might go too golden but it shouldn't. Keep it going for about 15mins or a little longer, it will stay tacky feeling but will dry out when it sits on the bench cooling.

Double or triple the mix as required, you may just need to use two baking trays so the layer is not so thick :)

 I got the original idea from here however I have over time adapted it quite a bit for my own needs and tastes to arrive at the recipe I now use :)

1 comment:

  1. I love muesli for breakfast, this recipe looks yummy, and really healthy. I keep a larder of staples too. Good on a daily basis to have the stockpile for excellent for those times of the year when the big bills hit.

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I can't wait to read your comments and to share ideas, I am a busy mummy with 2 boys to run around after so I will try and get to comments as quickly as I can...if there is a delay in seeing them published this is why, not because I don't care, I'm just taking some time to smell the roses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...